Only invited sellers can apply for an 'Open to one' or 'Open to selected' opportunity.
Learn more about Open to selected opportunities.Sign in to continue
This opportunity is closed for applications.
The deadline was Friday 19 October 2018 at 6PM (in Canberra)
- Opportunity ID
- Deadline for asking questions
- Tuesday 16 October 2018 at 6PM (in Canberra)
- Closing date for applications
- Friday 19 October 2018 at 6PM (in Canberra)
- Friday 12 October 2018
Write a summary of your brief We require a DevOps engineer to join the HPC Applications Section to support testing and release automation processes in a multi-platform and high-performance computing (supercomputing) environment.
What is the latest start date?
Monday, 12 Nov 2018
How long is the contract? An initial period of 3 months with a further 2 x 3 month extension option periods subject to available funds and delegate approval. There is a good prospect of further work at the end of the contract for the right candidate.
Where can the work take place?
Who will the specialist work for?
Bureau of Meteorology
How much can you spend per day? The Bureau will consider candidates at an indicative rate of $1000 per day (inc GST)
About the work
Who will the specialist work with? This position will be located in the Data and Digital Group, in the HPC Applications team.
What will the specialist do? Your role is to provide your team with the tools, methods and expertise to quickly create, iterate and release complex applications. You will provide the ability to automate the build, test and deployment of any applications produced by your team. You will have a focus on enabling continuous integration / continuous deployment for your team, allowing you and your team to deliver innovative, user-focused services.
Any additional relevant information? The Bureau of Meteorology is Australia’s national weather, climate and water agency in the Environment portfolio of the Australian Government. This position will be located in the Data and Digital Group, in the HPC Applications team. This is an opportunity for an ICT professional with skills in Linux system engineering, software engineering, programming or Linux system administration to contribute to important projects delivering important weather services.
The HPC applications team has staff from a range of backgrounds and experience, and the team environment is highly collaborative. There are opportunities to work with open source tools and software, as well as scientific and public good applications. Team members often contribute to multiple projects and work with different project teams to deliver outcomes.
You will be working with large, complex applications that are developed under international collaborations. Experience with or exposure to large applications would be relevant to the work.
Where will the work take place? Bureau of Meteorology
700 Collins Street, Docklands VIC 3008
What are the working arrangements? The successful candidate will be primarily located at the Bureau's Head Office located at 700 Collins Street, Docklands, Victoria.
Interstate travel may be required, Bureau approval to travel is to be sought before travel is organised through endorsed Whole of Government travel arrangements.
Is security clearance required? Not Applicable
Additional terms and conditions CVs must be de-branded and not contain candidate's rates.
Additional summary of all candidate's (including rates) to be provided separately.
Skills and experience
Buyers will use the essential and nice-to-have skills and experience to help them evaluate sellers’ technical competence.
Essential skills and experience
- Able to build pipeline automation (Jenkins, Gitlab-CI, etc), particularily focusing on CI/CD
- Have familiarity with Python, shell scripting and the Go programming language
- Have experience with automated security testing (DevSecOps) and best practice
- Handle creation of performance and application lifecycle monitoring systems
- Have awareness of automated security testing practises
- Have experience working in a Linux environment
Nice-to-have skills and experience
- Have working with large, complex and custom applications which include legacy technologies
- Have knowledge of the OWASP top ten common weaknesses
- Have knowledge of statistics and/or statistical or physical modelling and/or machine learning
- Have experience with automated security testing
- Have knowledge or experience in IT security, including penetration testing, detecting malware characteristics, SQL injection attacks, threat modelling and network auditing
How sellers will be evaluated
How many specialists will you evaluate?
- Comply with all Bureau work, health and safety policies and procedures, and take reasonable care for your own health and safety and that of employees, contractors and visitors who may be affected by your conduct.
- Commitment to APS Values, Employment Principles, Code of Conduct and the Bureau's Social Justice Strategy.
- The ability to work as part of a team and be interested in learning new skills and solving problems.
Area of expertise
Software engineering and development
How will you verify the specialist is right for the role?
- Work history
How will you evaluate the specialists?
|Seller question||Buyer answer|
|1. Is Australian Citizenship required to obtain Baseline Security Clearance for this opportunity?||Yes, all candidates need to be an Australian Citizen. However, no additional Security Clearance requirements apply.|