This opportunity is closed for applications.
The deadline was Wednesday 25 July 2018 at 6PM (in Canberra)
- Opportunity ID
- Deadline for asking questions
- Wednesday 18 July 2018 at 6PM (in Canberra)
- Closing date for applications
- Wednesday 25 July 2018 at 6PM (in Canberra)
- Wednesday 11 July 2018
Write a summary of your brief Establish statement of requirements to streamline and automate business processes to maximise business efficiencies.
What is the latest start date?
Anticipated start date to be August 2018
How long is the contract? Anticipated 6 - 12 months contract
Where can the work take place?
- New South Wales
- South Australia
Who will the specialist work for?
Australian Taxation Office
About the work
Why is the work being done? The ATO is a large government organisation tasked with risk and assurance management across the entirety of the tax and superannuation system in Australia; with a range of complex processes having evolved over time.
The specific focus area for this project is improving efficiency in the business processes around the risk and assurance management of large business and complex private groups in the context of the tax and superannuation system. These business processes are in the main low volume and highly complex. These processes include multiple staff responsible for different functions in the end to end process that perform manual data processing and risk management activities. These activities range from low level data processing to high level interpretation, analysis and client interaction.
The business process redesign coincides with internal development and delivery of a suite of data and analytics products and services to support the ATO business areas working with large business and complex private groups. We seek to engage a service provider to redesign the business processes for these ATO areas to maximise the use and efficiencies presented by these tools and call out any gaps in the business decision support tools available. We are not asking the Seller to develop or provide these tools themselves.
They will gain a detailed understanding of business needs and deliver re-designed business processes and statements of requirements for change. This work will lead to transformational business process change supported by a range of business decision support tools (already available in the ATO or currently under development) that will streamline and automate business process.
What's the key problem you need to solve? Existing business processes have been established over time in a largely manual processing environment which may have resulted in operations that are not maximally efficient. Existing processes include multiple handoffs and manual data processing activities.
Our reporting mechanisms and other tools used to evaluate the effectiveness of systems, processes and key work programs are often manual and not well integrated, making it difficult to generate real time insights about populations, risks, or work flow status.
The aim is to redesign existing business processes that support key programs of work to eliminate inefficiencies in process. This includes aligning our data and analytics tools and business processes to fit together seamlessly and achieve consistent results. We consider integration of refined business process with our data analytics and automation program to be the foundation of the new processes.
Describe the users and their needs Note: User range in levels from executive (including senior executive) through to team members.
The high level user (business) requirements for improved business processes include:
• As a risk and strategy specialist, I need a business process that enables end-to-end visibility of risk identification, risk management strategies and client engagement outcomes, to support measurement and evaluation of risk identification, management and client engagement approaches.
• As a risk and strategy specialist, I need to reduce time on manual labour intensive tasks, like data extraction, collation and analysis, that could be automated or streamlined, so that I can maximise my time on devising and rolling out strategies to address risk.
• As a risk and strategy specialist, I need to have access to business decision support tools that support end-end risk management business processes so that I can clearly link, streamline and automate my activities to maximise business process efficiencies.
• As a risk and strategy specialist or senior manager/executive, I need business processes that support access to business decision support tools that provide transparency to track resource investment, monitor risk management and client engagement activities so that I can make informed business decisions.
• As a client engagement officer, I need to have a clear understanding of the future end-end business process and the business tools available so that I can effectively perform my duties and provide feedback.
• As a client engagement officer, I need to reduce time on manual labour intensive tasks that could be automated so that I can maximise my time on client facing engagement activities.
• As an analytics service provider, I need to understand what the above specialists and officers are intending to achieve to best support them.
• As a client of the ATO, I need the interaction to be as efficient and effortless as possible.
What work has already been done? Some preliminary discovery work to identify stakeholders, tools available and current processes being used, as well as data, tools and processes under development to support business activities.
Who will the work be done with? The successful Seller will be working with ATO law, compliance, risk, program management and data & analytics areas.
Any additional relevant information?
What phase is the work in?
Where will the work take place? Seller work will be face-face engagement. The ATO has offices in most Australian capital cities where face-face engagement can be undertaken (incl. Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne & Adelaide)
What are the working arrangements? Seller will self-direct work program in consultation with ATO.
Is security clearance required? A Pre-Employment Integrity Check will be required for Seller personnel.
Preference for Seller to have PEIC in place for personnel. However, if this is not in place, checks will be organised on behalf of the Seller by the ATO before engagement can commence.
Additional terms and conditions All sellers in the Digital Marketplace have already agreed to the terms and conditions of the DTA Master Agreement.
If you need to set out any additional terms and conditions, do so here.
Skills and experience
Buyers will use the essential and nice-to-have skills and experience to help them evaluate sellers’ technical competence.
Essential skills and experience
- Demonstrated experience successfully delivering end-end business redesign
- Demonstrated skills and experience undertaking solution design activities, including stakeholder engagement, business analysis and user design
- Specialised skills/experience in application of LEAN design principles and approaches (or similar) in re-designing business processes
- Demonstrated experience in knowledge transfer during and on conclusion of the project ensuring availability for future users resulting in reusable documentation of the knowledge
- Demonstrated experience delivering solution that aligns with large organisation requirements (ie. schedule/project management requirements)
- Demonstrated experience delivering new/innovative solutions
- Demonstrated experience addressing any real or perceived conflicts of interest
- Demonstrated performance conforming to contractual obligations
- Supplier transparent in outlining the nature and extent of IP rights and technical information
Nice-to-have skills and experience
Specialised skills/experience in undertaking and delivering viable solution designs
How sellers will be evaluated
How many shortlisted sellers will you evaluate?
- Approach to business redesign
- Examples of business redesign delivered in large organisations with references and outcomes
- How the approach or solution meets user needs
- Estimated timeframes for the work
Cultural fit criteria
- Demonstrated experience working in partnership with large organisations (desirable: public service organisations) to deliver solution
- Demonstrated experience delivering organisational and transformation change
- Work as a team with our organisation and other sellers
- Transparent and collaborative when making decisions
- Have a no-blame culture and encourage people to learn from their mistakes
- Written proposal
- Case study
- Work history
|Seller question||Buyer answer|
|1. What is the daily rate inclusive of GST?||The ATO is unable to determine a daily rate. The ATO is seeking an overall price and value for money solution that delivers on this outcome.|
|2. What will be the primary location where the duties will be performed?||As outlined in the brief, at this stage, it is anticipated that key stakeholders will be based across ATO sites, including metropolitan ATO offices across Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. As such, any of these locations would be acceptable as the primary location for the seller to perform their duties.|
|3. I understand that there are a number of states mentioned - and the opportunity demands 'face-to-face' correspondence - will this be required concurrently? or is it a case where in a one city/place will be a primary location with travel required to and between other states? Is yes - then what will be the primary location where the duties are expected to be performed? ACT, NSW etc?||Key stakeholders are based across ATO sites, including metropolitan ATO offices across Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. As such, any of these locations would be acceptable as the primary location for the seller to perform their duties. Where engagement is required with stakeholders outside of the primary location and WebEx, Telepresence (video conference) facilities are not available, travel to additional sites will be reimbursed as per the ATO travel policy and travel limits and agreed in writing by the ATO representative.|
|4. Can the duties be performed in the Canberra ATO office?||It is anticipated that work will be performed in ATO metropolitan sites across Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne only. At this stage Canberra is not a preferred site.|
|5. Do you require a certain level of Lean for this position?||As specified in the brief, specialised skills or experience in application of LEAN design principles and approaches (or similar) in re-designing business processes is considered an essential skill/experience. However, we are looking for the Seller to bring their knowledge of industry best practices to deliver the outcomes sought.|
|6. Please provide an indication around what rate range/ budget you'd be looking to award this position?||The ATO is seeking an overall price and value for money solution that delivers on this outcome. Budget is available for this requirement, but we are unable to determine the cost until we have explored the opportunities.|
|7. Is there a possibility for the right candidate to be part-time/ 4 days?||A part time candidate is not an issue providing they can deliver on the outcome within the expected ATO timeframe for the project.|
|8. Can the work take place in the ACT?||It is anticipated that work will be performed in ATO metropolitan sites across Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne only. At this stage Canberra is not a preferred site.|
|9. Could I just confirm that this is just one position and not 1 for each of the States listed? If it is just the one is there a preference from the States that are listed?||This is one engagement spread across multiple sites where engagement is required with stakeholders in those sites.|
|10. Please confirm this piece of work is Fixed Price?||Yes this will be a fixed priced engagement.|
|11. Please confirm you are seeking a proposal for the listed services under a fixed price agreement?||Yes this will be a fixed price agreement.|
|12. Would you anticipate the process analyst having a background in financial services/accounts or federal government? Do you have a preference as to their industry?||As listed in the brief 'Demonstrated experience delivering solutions that aligns with large organisation requirements' and 'Demonstrated experience working in partnership with large organisations (desirable: public service organisations) to deliver solution' are technical and cultural criteria for the evaluation of sellers. Beyond this we have no specific criteria for experience in a particular industry at this time.|
|13. Will any further details be provided to shortlisted sellers, or should we seek any information we would need to prepare the proposal by asking questions here by 18 July?||A more detailed Statement of Requirement for this work will be provided to shortlisted sellers prior to them delivering presentations to the ATO.|
|14. What is your expected due date for proposals from shortlisted sellers?||It is expected that shortlisted sellers will be given two weeks following the provision of the more detailed Statement of Requirement to prepare and deliver presentations to the ATO.|
|15. Fixed price agreement mentioned. Can you please confirm what the rate to the candidate would be?||The ATO is unable to determine a daily rate. The ATO is seeking an overall price and value for money solution that delivers on this outcome.|
|16. Are you able to list out the data and analytics products noted in the marketplace request? Are you looking for expertise in those tools, or just business process modelling skills?||As stated in the brief, we are seeking to engage a seller to redesign the business processes for specific ATO areas to maximum the use and efficiencies presented by current and planned data and analytics products and call out any gaps in the tools available. However the primary focus of the work is the mapping and redesign of business processes. Support can be provided to the engaged seller to ensure they have an understanding of the potential application of current and planned tools and products, to ensure these are considered and integrated to best effect in the re-designed business process.|
|17. Can you share how many related business processes have been identified through the discovery work, and their relative complexity?||At this stage there are 5 end-to-end business processes in scope, however each of these is made up of multiple sub-processes across our business. While some preliminary discovery work has been undertaken so far, further discovery will be required to identify all of the relevant sub-processes and the overall complexity.|
|18. Has the ATO run service design initiatives previously? If so, were they purely internal or also supported by external providers?||The ATO has run both internal and externally supported service design initiatives previously.|
|19. Will there be any internal ATO team members supporting the business process redesign activities (excluding stakeholders)||Yes, there will be non-stakeholder ATO staff to support and facilitate the engagement.|
|20. Approximately how many people are in each of the ATO business areas working with large business and complex private groups: ATO law, compliance, risk, program management and data & analytics, in each of the locations (NSW, QLD, SA, VIC)?||As at 30 June 2017, across all ATO sites, there were approximately 3,400 staff working in our business areas for Private Groups and High Wealth Individuals and Public Groups and Internationals. However, only a small number of these staff are engaged in the five business processes, related specifically to large business and complex private groups, that we are seeking to review. Engagement with multiple stakeholders across sites and functions will be required as part of this engagement and will be facilitated by ATO staff.|
|21. How many candidates are we able to submit and how as the page to submit does not allow for upload of CV etc?||There is no limit to the number of candidates you can submit for this project. As the Digital Marketplace does not allow for attachments to be included with the brief response, should a Seller be shortlisted the ATO may ask for these at a later stage.|
|22. Can you please provide some additional context around the term 'conflict of interest'. This term can be quite broad, and could be contractual in nature (e.g. we can't provide consulting services to the ATO due to an identified conflict of interest), or could refer to a pre-existing conflict in a team (e.g. between team members) or between the contractor and the customer (e.g. regarding quality of deliverables etc).||The ATO is committed to best practice in managing any internal and external conflicts of interest during all stages of the procurement process. If the Seller is concerned with an actual or potential conflict of interest anytime throughout this process, the Seller must notify the ATO by email and the ATO will take all steps required to manage the conflict of interest as directed by the DTA and the ATO.|
|23. In multiple instances, 'Solution Design' is referenced. Could you please clarify that this is referring to the general re-design of processes, rather than specifically referring to the design of a piece of software (also often referred to as 'solutions').||The focus is on process redesign, utilising existing data and analytics tools and products and identifying gaps in technology and tools, rather than the design of new software solutions.|
Interested in this opportunity?
Before you can apply for this opportunity, you need to:
- Register to join the Marketplace.
- Submit a case study and pricing and check your documents are up-to-date.
- Request an assessment of your chosen case study.